Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sports! Mi-au fost dor de voi!

Although I'm starting to get the hang of this teaching thing, I can't help but miss my old job in sports PR. The PR part? Meh. But the sports part? Absolutely.

Luckily, my school and town have a commitment to mișcare și sport, as evidenced by the yearly skiing contest that happened recently and our hosting a handball tournament for middle-school aged kids (the ages I teach). Alas, our boys finished fourth, but that just means they can only go up, right? RIGHT!? That's what I thought.

A few pics: First, the skiing contest. It was held last Sunday. The contest was only for the copii, but the adulți partook of the groomed slope as well. We even had a couple snowboarders, something not nearly as popular here as in the U.S. Because my area is so mountainous, skiing is a big part of the winter lifestyle, and it showed, as many of the kids appeared pretty comfortable glissading down the hill. 

I, however, chose not to partake, despite being offered skis and boots. Although I've been skiing my entire life, I haven't been in a couple years, and I didn't really feel like banging off the rust in front of everyone in my village. Totuși, data viitoare, when there's a bit less of an audience.





We also hosted a handball tournament today that featured middle schools from throughout the area. Because they're mostly Hungarian, I heard a whole lotta "Mit csinalsz!?!?" ("What are you doing!?!?") from some pretty intense benches. The indoor-action shots leave a bit to be desired, but check out our two-year-old gym! It's a great asset for the school, and I'm glad they have it, especially because it was -27 (-17 F) this morning. Joi.







I knew very little about handball before today, but after four hours and a bit of tutoring, I think I get the idea and most of the rules, and I definitely want to give it a try. Why wouldn't you want to jump in the air and huck a ball as hard as you can at a guy like 5 feet away? If only I had somewhere to play...

No comments:

Post a Comment